1. Vein diameter of more than 3 mm with reflux/incompetence should be documented.
2. Compression therapy should be used for at least 3 consecutive months prior to request for treatment.
3. Mechanochemical treatment by ClariVein and many other procedures (see article) are not covered and are considered experimental.
4. Cigna does not approve a sole treatment of accessory, reticular or varicose tributary without associated occlusion of saphenopopliteal or saphenofemoral junction.
5. For endovenous thermal ablation or sclerotherapy of truncal veins, reflux at saphenofemoral or saphenopopliteal junction should be documented.
6. Three sessions of sclerotherapy per leg are covered by Cigna if patient meets criteria for treatment of varicose veins. However, additional sessions can be covered with submission of additional documentation.
7. Perforating veins with outward flow duration of >500ms and diameter of> 3.5 mm are considered pathological.
For more complete and accurate information please review Cigna Medical Coverage Policy provided on Cigna website by following link below: