Please review the medical policy of Anthem Blue Cross for treatment of varicose vein of lower extremities.
Points to pay attention:
1. Reflux of >0.5 sec should be documented at Saphenofemoral (SFJ) and Saphenopopliteal (SPJ) junction SPJ.
2. Trial of gradient compression stockings for at least 6 weeks is necessary prior to RF or Laser treatment.
3. Tributaries of truncal veins (Anterior Accessory saphenous vein, vein of Giacomini, perforators and others….) should be treated with sclerotherapy or ultrasound guided sclerotherapy.
4. Perforators with reflux time >0.5 sec and diameter of at least 3.5 mm are considered pathologic.
5. Treatment of incompetent perforators with RF of Laser is considered investigational.
For more information please review a full article obtained from Anthem web page by using link below: